Search

Budget

Someone asked me if we could provide a monthly budget report that would show the difference between what we have and what the parish “needs.” I understand the question. What we really “need” is for members to give thankfully in proportion to their personal income. That means paying less attention to the amount we give, and more attention to the percentage of our income we give. When we give in proportion, the amount we give goes up as income goes up, and down when income goes down. That has an understandable effect on the parish budget. What percentage? Now that’s the real question. The Bible talks about giving God a tithe – that’s 10% of our income – and doing it thankfully. Shocking, I know. Some of us do. Here in the USA, Catholics are asked to consider giving 5% to the local parish, 1% to the diocese, and the balance to other charities. In practice, Catholics give about 1% total. Protestants give about 2%. Don’t worry about what the parish “needs” in order to balance the budget. Ask yourself whether you are giving gratefully, in proportion to your income. If most of us were doing that, the budget would take care of itself.

12 views

Recent Posts

See All

A Biblical Walk Through the Mass

Were you rais00d in another Christian tradition or no religious tradition at all? Are you interested in the possibility of becoming a Catholic? I will be leading a study of “A Biblical Walk Through th

Building and Capital Campaign

St. Margaret’s has everything to be proud of and nothing to be ashamed of. Members participated at a high level in the surveys and town-halls. The Building Committee worked to create not just one but

Masks at St. Margaret’s

The Diocese of Kansas City—St. Joseph has a set of safety protocols that all parishes are expected to follow. Some jurisdictions in the diocese have differing protocols. So it is quite possible for pa

St. Margaret of Scotland Catholic Church
777 NE Blackwell Rd
Lee's Summit, MO 64086-3717
United States
ph: (816) 246-6800

Copyright 2020 
St. Margaret of Scotland Catholic Church.
All rights reserved.

Keep in Touch
Sign up for one or more Services

  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon